L'Aquila is located in a valley along the banks of the River Aterno, closed, on the one hand, from the Gran Sasso massif, and, secondly, by the Velino Dumbledore. The foundation of the city was planned dall'mperatore Frederick II of Swabia in 1245; the many castles scattered on the slopes surrounding the new city gradually built houses, churches, squares and fountains, creating the nucleus of the Eagle, the name deriving from the many springs that were born locally and then fed fountain 99 Cannelle to Rivera. In 1254 the city was officially recognized by Corrado IV and, after dstruzione by Manfredi in 1259 was Charles of Anjou to give new impetus to reconstruction. The Basilica of Santa Maria di Collemaggio is the largest Romanesque church of the city of L'Aquila. Built in 1287 by the will of the 'hermit Pietro del Morrone, who was crowned pope on August 29, 1294, strongly influenced dell' Roman-Gothic architecture of Abruzzo for the prevalence of the plans, especially in the facade and imposing unit that constitutes the real substance monumental of all the 'building. Although the facade is neoclassical, the Cathedral of San Massimo goes back to the thirteenth century; It is characterized by two imposing bell towers on the sides and an entrance portal topped by a triangular pediment supported by four columns. Inside it houses an early Christian sarcophagus. The fountain of 99 spouts, designed in 1272 by architect Tancredi Pentima, consists of two tanks and 99 stone masks are all different, each with a cinnamon from which the water comes out. According to tradition, these 99 masks representing the lords, belonging to 99 castles gathered by Federico II, who founded the city. The Basilica of San Bernardino was built by disciples of the saint of Siena in 1454 in Renaissance style, with a facade divided into three tiers with different decorative styles: Doric the first, Ionian the second and Corinthian on the third. E 'divided into three naves and the central one has a remarkable wooden coffered ceiling, carved, painted and gilded. Interesting from an archaeological point of view are also the remains of Sabine Amiternum and the catacombs of San Vittorino.